Re: AOL Greenhouse

voidmstr (voidmstr@phantom.com)
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 09:04:17 -0800

On Tue, 29 Nov 1994, Cliff Kurtzman wrote:

> In addition to the AOL acquisition of ANS reported here by Glenn, AOL also
> announced, according to today's Houston Chronicle, an online marketplace
> project dubbed AOL Greenhouse: "We are searching for a handful of creative
> entrepreneurial crusaders who are committed to redefining the on-line
> world. . ." More information is evidently available on AOL.
>
> I would be interested in receiving more information (as I'm sure would
> others on this list). If there is a list member from AOL.COM that could
> provide us with more details it would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your interest in The AOL Greenhouse.

The AOL Greenhouse is a unique opportunity. We are searching for a
handful of creative, passionate infopreneurs who will partner with
America Online to create a new generation of extraordinary online content
and services.

In exchange, we are committed to providing a supportive environment
including dedicated production and development resources, promotion for
your work, seed equity funding, and the opportunity for you to build a
successful new media venture.

We are proud of our success in building a community of over 1.25 million
members, and we are confident that our Greenhouse infopreneurs will add a
new dimension of creativity and value for the America Online community.

The AOL Greenhouse is your chance to be a part of this evolving new
medium. Please review the attached information package and submit your
Greenhouse application no later than Friday, December 30, 1994.

Ted Leonsis
President of AOL Services
America Online, Inc.

Transmitted: 94-11-17 13:17:50 EST

The AOL Greenhouse Background Information

America Online, the fastest growing online community, announces the
formation of The AOL Greenhouse, an entrepreneurial environment for the
creation of unique online content and services.

We are searching for a handful of creative, entrepreneurial crusaders who
are committed to re-defining the online world.

Our informal motto is: Break It! We seek risk-takers who are ready to
break the paradigms of the online world and create the next generation of
online content and services. Successful Greenhouse "infopreneurs" must
understand the promise of new media and have ideas for creating
extraordinary online content targeting specific groups of people.

America Online is ready to support Greenhouse participants with a
creative, entrepreneurial environment, access to over 1.25 million AOL
members, online promotion, participation in our Web site and other
Internet initiatives, and production support.

As part of this initiative, we have set a aside an investment fund to
create The AOL Greenhouse and to provide seed equity funding for
Greenhouse participants.

If you have what it takes to be on the cutting edge of the online world
and you are looking for a substantial audience, submit your application
to The AOL Greenhouse by Friday, December 30, 1994.

Transmitted: 94-11-13 18:11:26 EST

Answers to Common Questions

1. Why has America Online created The AOL Greenhouse?

Entrepreneurs are often the most creative force in any new medium. In
fact, we know that members of our online community have some of the best
ideas for expanding our service. However, commercial online services
have been slow to embrace the full power and creativity of "infopreneurs."

The AOL Greenhouse was created to fill this void. We hope to identify
and support the best, most creative "infopreneurs" and help them offer
their content and ideas to over 1.25 million AOL members and to the
entire Internet community.

2. Who should apply?

Individuals and organizations are welcome to apply for The AOL
Greenhouse. Whether you're a one person operation, or a new media team,
you'll want to think about how you stack up against the following
criteria....

* You are a crusader - dynamic, passionate, and creative

* New media runs through your veins......you live online, you know what
works online and what doesn't, you're way out ahead of the technology

* You have a unique point of view which you communicate with a mixture
of power, elegance, and humor

* You are an expert in the needs, expectations, and mind set of a
specific segment of people, however big or small, and you will be able to
deliver exactly what those people are looking for

* You are an entrepreneur. You'll be able to build a successful
enterprise, branching across multiple media and generating multiple
income streams

3. What does America Online offer participants in The AOL Greenhouse?

America Online is committed to helping Greenhouse participants re-define
online services and create successful, profitable new media enterprises.
America Online will offer the following components as part of The AOL
Greenhouse:

* A supportive, entrepreneurial environment including dedicated
production support, quarterly Greenhouse conferences, access to the AOL
experience base, and training in AOL internal tools and technology

* Access to over 1.25 million AOL members through a dedicated Greenhouse
area online and inclusion in specific AOL departments

* Promotion on the America Online service

* The opportunity to publish on the Internet through the AOL World Wide
Web Site and through stand alone Web Sites.

* Substantial personal and economic upside, including the opportunity to
create a multimedia brand extending beyond the online world into the
Internet and alternative electronic distribution channels

* A startup/bootstrap business model. Obviously, The AOL Greenhouse
won't guarantee your success as a new media entrepreneur. Your success
will be based on your creativity, hard work, and your ability to capture
the interest of the online community. America Online will offer
Greenhouse participants seed equity funding and, to the extent possible,
we will support your efforts to obtain additional financing.

4. What kind of commitment is required?

America Online is looking for "infopreneurs" who believe that online
interaction is redefining our society. We seek risk takers who
understand new media and are dedicated to being participants in this
industry. We anticipate selecting a handful of Greenhouse participants
from hundreds of applications, and we expect that the Greenhouse
finalists will dedicate their full energy to the success of their online
venture.

5. Will I become an employee of America Online?

Greenhouse participants will be independent contractors and will not
become employees of America Online. The AOL Greenhouse is an
entrepreneurial opportunity for individuals and small businesses to
create profitable ventures in the emerging field of interactive media.
America Online will help Greenhouse infopreneurs get started, but your
ultimate success will be based on your skills as an entrepreneur.

6. How do I apply?

Please complete the application form included with this package.
Completed application forms should be received by AOL no later than
Friday, December 30, 1994. We will confirm receipt of applications via
e-mail.

7. How will you evaluate applications for The AOL Greenhouse?

Applications will be reviewed by members of our Greenhouse team. We will
look for creativity, passion, a gut level understanding of interactive
and online media, and a great idea.

We value ideas which target a well defined segment of the population, and
which display a clear understanding of the targeted segment. At the same
time, we understand that some ideas will cut across the entire population.

Greenhouse participants will be creating new business ventures in a
rapidly changing industry. Thus, as part of your application you should
be thinking about alternative sources of revenue and financing.

We expect that Greenhouse participants will display a track record of
success and the ability to play and win in an unstructured
entrepreneurial environment.

8. How much financing will you offer Greenhouse participants?

The amount of financing will be limited and will vary for each
participant. Applicants to the Greenhouse should be prepared to operate
in "start-up" mode. Applicants should also be prepared to seek out
additional sources of financing and develop multiple sources of revenue
from their online venture.

9. When will you notify me if I am selected?

The length of our review process will depend on the number of
applications that we receive. Our objective is to complete the review
process and notify all applicants no later than February 10, 1995.
Applicants who successfully pass through our initial screens may be asked
to submit additional material and, possibly visit America Online for
further discussions.

10. Who should I call with questions about the Greenhouse?

All questions should be submitted via e-mail to Greenhouse@AOL.COM. We
will make every effort to respond to your questions within 48 hours.

In addition, we will post updates and answers to common questions, in our
online area. You can access this area on America Online using keyword:
Greenhouse.

Transmitted: 94-11-13 17:21:46 EST

The AOL Greenhouse

Application

* All applicants must complete this section

Application date
Name of primary contact
Title of primary contact
Company name
Company address
Telephone number
Fax number
E-mail address (required)

* Complete this section if you represent an existing company:

Number of employees in your company?
When was your company founded?
Primary business of your company?
If your proposal is accepted, how many employees will be dedicated to
this project on a full time basis?

* Complete this section if you are applying as an individual, as a
team of individuals, or as a start-up company

Number of people on your team?
How long have you been working together?
Please list the names of all team members

Application Questions

Please limit your application to the length described in each question.

1. (Maximum 2 pages) Please describe your online idea. The following
questions should guide your answer: Who is the target customer that will
be served by your idea? How will your customer be served? How does your
idea push the creative envelope of America Online? How does your idea
take full advantage of interactivity? How will you obtain content for
your idea? What are alternative revenue streams that you might generate
from your idea?

2. (Maximum 1 page) Please describe your team. The following
questions should guide your answer: Who are you? How are you currently
employed? What are your backgrounds? What experience do you have in
interactive services? How are you qualified to serve the customer
segment that you have identified? What are examples of your success in
other areas of your life?

Please return your completed application, by Friday, December 30, to:

The AOL Greenhouse
America Online, Inc.
8619 Westwood Center Drive
Vienna, Virginia 22182