Caching, international implications

ian@iand.demon.co.uk ((ian@iand.demon.co.uk))
Tue, 6 Jun 1995 12:23:28 -0700

In article: <v02120c2cabf91a54c6bc@[204.94.44.3]>
internet-marketing@popco.com writes:
<i>> Being me, I asked some questions.</i>
<i>> Mindful of the fairly recent debate about the impact on hit counting of</i>
<i>> caching, I asked what the commercial services would do about this, and</i>
<i>> whether they would consider their records a commercial resource. Only</i>
<i>> Fred Larson, VP of Prodigy answered this. He said that Prodigy would</i>
<i>> cache to conserve bandwidth, but would let all sites know that their</i>
<i>> material had been requested. He implied this would be by sending a</i>
<i>> message at the time of request. That's all I got.</i>
<i>></i>
<i>></i>

Caching cropped up in the UKs legal COG.

Under UK law it appears that copyright extends to ANY copy. IE to cache is
to copy and an automatic breach of copyright under UK law.

I suspect that this will be an academic point unless the likes of CIS et al,
( who tell me that they don't cache ), decline to provide full hit lists, in
which case they will be instructed not to cache.

They will then have a simple choice, to cache, ( and give out the
"commercially sensitive" information ), or not cache, and therefore give out
the same information while at the same time slowing down their clients
access. I for one would decline to accept any restrictions that such a
service tried to place on my use of the data.

In the UK it seems that the site owner holds all the cards.

If the US law is that they can cache, and decline to provide full hit lists,
people might find it useful to put their web site in the UK. ( I have
already found a UK person whose web site is in the US so that regulatory
complications can be avoided ).

I don't really want to kick off the old discussion again, but I don't think
that this international aspect was covered previously, and is food for
thought.

<pre>
<pre>

--
Ian Dickson
Inventor of CCL Pensions Analyser (Own charge projections for IFAs)

Paddy Ashdown on "The case for a single currency". An essay, at &lt;a href="<a href="http://www.demon.co.uk/moneyweb/paddy1.html">http://www.demon.co.uk/moneyweb/paddy1.html</a>"&gt;http://www.demon.co.uk/moneyweb/paddy1.html&lt;/a&gt;

Return to top-level of current discussion

Return to Internet Marketing Home Page

Search the archives

Enter keywords

Post a message to this group by filling in the form below.